Tuesday, February 3, 2009

(Dirty little secret)

I know how to eat.  99% of the time I eat uber healthy.  Here's a typical day of my eats:

1.  Breakfast: Flax plus multibran cereal w/extra unprocessed bran on top, little bit o' Splenda, 1% milk.  Maybe a banana if I'm feeling crazy.

2.  Snacky treat: Iced Americano.

3.  Lunch: Salad w/protein.

4.  Snacky treat: Wasa bread Crisp & Light with Almond Butter.

5.  Dinner: Protein w/two different veggies.  Maybe a whole grain carb like brown rice.

6.  Dessert: Sugar free dark chocolate pudding.

Basically this is how I eat.  But I have my downfalls - alcohol and
 fried pig.  Most of my friends know of my love of bacon.  But loving bacon is kind of an accepted social norm.  I have a dirtier love.  I love fried pork rinds.  Ironically the only time I ever buy them is at this one liquor store that has small bags.  Until this week.  You will never guess where I found a huge ass bag of pork rinds for $2.  Whole-Freakin'-Foods.  This is life changing.

Not only can I buy them without having to shove them behind the two bottles of Pinot Noir, but I can hold my head up high because they have the Whole Foods stamp of approval.  Isn't that funny?  It's like because you buy something there (or a similar-type store) the negative attributes of the food suddenly disappear.  Did I just eat an entire wedge of brie?  Why yes, but it was ORGANIC BRIE.

But I digress.  Here's the beautiful thing about pork rinds.  They have way fewer calories per serving than other fried things (80 calories vs. 150 for chips for example), no carbs and some protein per serving.  And these new ones at WF are made with hormone free pork, no trans fats, no antibiotics, no pig lips (OK I made that one up) and most importantly no shame.

You could eat the entire bag of these for a mere 640 calories.  I'm not condoning or suggesting that, but who has to know.
Who has to know?

2 comments:

  1. Very funny. I have never tried pork rinds. Jealous of the fact you have a Whole Foods near you too. Funny that they sell that stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right out of Seattle:
    http://www.baconsalt.com/

    you're my bacon brother from another mother!

    ReplyDelete