Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mama Effin Mia!


I love musical theater.  I love the corniness, the romance, the campy characters and the hope of it.  I never saw Mama Mia on Broadway and hadn't seen the movie until last night at 11:45 in my bed.  My husband has been out of town since November 30th.  When he's gone I kind of lose my mind and do stupid shit like stay up until 1:30 doing whatever I want because I can.  So I started this movie at 11:45.  And it was so, so worth it.

Have you seen it?  Meryl Streep is my hero.  She looks and is amazing in this movie.  She was born in 1949.  1949!!!!  She dances, she sings, she glows in this movie.  Her beauty is so organic it's like it seeps out from inside of her.  I aspire to age like this woman.  Her face is hers.  Her body is hers.  She has not been sculpted into someone else.

There are parts of me I'm not too thrilled with after having children and breast feeding for 4 years give or take.  The pastry bags come to mind.  I toy with the idea of doing something about it someday.  It's such a hard decision and one I would never take lightly.  Especially after seeing Meryl rock it. 

One of the great tragedies of my life is that I was not given the gift of a singing voice.  If my husband was reading this he would say "but you were in a play!"  He loves this line.  Yes, I was in a play or two but that doesn't mean they should have let me sing in public.  I am a ham and can muddle through the acting and dancing part, but the singing is pretty painful.  Oh well.  Meryl did inspire me to go to a dance class today and I'm going to shake this 39 year old butt for all it's worth.

5 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as well. Meryl is just luminous (as usual) and what a lot of fun it was to see. She is a class act in every thing she does and has a great sense of humor to boot! You are right, we should all aspire to be like her as we age....so lovely and womanly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't seen it yet but will look forward to it. more importantly - I didn't know you were in a play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J, check out mamasweat.blogspot.com
    you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessa was Puck in a Midsummer Nights Dream, don't let her get all modest on you. Did you know she is a princess too?

    ReplyDelete