Sunday, December 7, 2008

Baby sister

My baby sister turns 31 today.  I was 8+ when she was born (with no other sibs in between).  I was horribly evil to her when she was little.  To the point where I really hate myself sometimes if I dwell on it.

By her own words she did everything backwards.  She had kids before she got married.  Had two by the time she was 23.  She didn't go to college.  She didn't have a good job.

I did everything by the book.  Went to college, went to graduate school, dated my husband for five years before we got married, succeeded in my career, saved money, bought a house, and then finally when all of these stars were aligned had children.

But here's the thing.  My sister puts me to shame on a daily basis.  She kicks my sad ass around the block and back with her parenting.   My sister was put on this earth to love things.  When she was little she would adopt whatever it was in the neighborhood that needed lovin' at the time whether it had two legs or four.  She is kind down to the atoms that make up her cells.  

She has built a family with her children and her husband that is about all the things that really matter, not just because they don't have everything, but because of who she is.  She makes things.  When my sister sends a gift she is so insightful and always has a level of thoughtfulness that it makes whatever it is absolutely priceless.  She puts a little of herself in everything that she does and it's a magic ingredient.

I love my baby sister.  I miss her.  I wish we were closer.  And I hope someday I can be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment