Monday, November 24, 2008

I think I need a time out.

I try really hard to be a good person.  I'm not very religious in the get-my-butt-out-of-bed-on-Sunday-and-go-to-church kind of way, but I do try and live my life by many Christian values (i.e. do unto others, love thy neighbor etc.).  Which reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Meet the Parents with Owen Wilson (it's a chuppah) and subsequently prods me to ask myself on a semi-regular basis, "what would J.C. do?"  He would definitely not "gesture" to an elderly woman in a parking lot or barely refrain from clonking another shopper over the head with a gallon of milk like I did today.

I'm not feeling very holiday-y.  In fact, I'm feeling very pissed off-y.  I know why this is, I'm just not sure how to get past it without killing an innocent bystander.  Due to unusual circumstances with my husband's job this year, our holiday plans have been in limbo for months.  My family lives across the country and we usually visit them at Christmas and for an extended time in the summer.  Due to the job thing and the cost of flights we decided to stay in Jersey this year.  I kind of got excited about this prospect until my husband was put on a project that will have him gone for most of December.  Now any decorating, shopping, tree trimming, holiday festivity planning type things are going to fall on my shoulders.  And knowing me I'm not going to exactly go all out.  I'm not mad at him or frankly at his company.  These are tough times and many people are suffering and having to deal with adversities far, far worse than mine.  I'm just feeling sorry for myself.  And I will get over it.  But you know when you have a picture in your head of how something is going to be and then it all goes to shit?  That's how I feel right now.  But I know I have to get it together for my kids and make it fun and memorable no matter what.

In my defense, grandma was COMPLETELY blocking the entrance to the Shoprite for no good reason and the other woman was just plain stupid (she actually said to someone "why is it so busy in here?!).  

But tomorrow is a new day.  I will try and be a better me and make J.C. proud.  Or at least not put me on the permanent detention list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment