Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's not you, it's me

I'm going to talk about some of my pet peeves cause I'm in the mood to biatch.  But PLEASE if you use some of these words/phrases don't take this personally because it's totally my problem and I hold no ill will against those who employ these vocabulary tactics - my beef is with the words themselves.

Most if not all of these "words" or acronyms have come to us via texting or it's predecessor instant messaging (see I can't even say im-ing).  Maybe this is one of those areas where I just need to realize I am old and crotchety (speaking of words, how about dissecting crotchety?).  I know these are used all the time by millions of people each day.  But not by me, because I hate them.

Here's my list:

LOL.  I get it.  You want to tell someone they made you laugh, a lovely thought.  But did you really "laugh out loud"?  Or did you merely smile?  Or maybe chuckle?  And how about when it morphs into LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  Now you're laughing out loud loud loud loud loud loud.....?

My history with LOL goes way back and I think it may explain some of my disdain.  The first time I ever saw "LOL" it was probably 8 years ago in an e-mail from a client.  I had never seen it before and thought it meant "lots of love" and thought that was highly inappropriate in the context.  Then I figured it out.  Duh.

ROFL.  OK, so there's the obvious reason that the person is not actually rolling on the floor, but the real reason I don't like this one is because I try to pronounce it in my head.  Roffle.  Sounds like what Scooby would call a waffle.

RU and Cuz.  I've been known to use these in desperate times, but really are we that lazy?

Hubby.  This is the worst for me.  I don't know why, I can't explain it, but this word is like nails on a chalkboard with a side of Styrofoam being rubbed together.  I seriously, seriously loathe this word.  I wish someone with a background in psychology could enlighten me here because I am self-aware enough to recognize that this is my issue.

Now I'm going to go snuggle with my hubby.  LOL.  No actually I'm ROFL.  R U sick to your stomach?  Cuz I am.

4 comments:

  1. Jessa, it's not you, it's not me, it's all of them! LOL makes me so crazy. It doesn't even make sense most of the time. "I'm going to get a burger. LOL!" Why would that make someone laugh? AUGH!

    My pet peeve is "I could care less." Really, I think you mean you couldn't care less, because then you couldn't care less. DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hot button words are bro and chief. IE "Thanks bro" or "Whats going on chief". I feel that these words assume a familiarity that does not exist in the relationship. Consequently, I feel like the individual doesn't have the respect to remember or use my proper name. I end up substituting the word j-cka-s for these terms. So I hear "Hey bro (I mean j-acka-s)can you do me a favor? Of course it all depends on who is using the terminology....This particularly relates to people I don't know well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you don't eat Chubby Hubby? That's just wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate all those words/acronyms too.

    ReplyDelete