Friday, May 22, 2009

Going for the gold

As many of you know I'm training (which means I'm talking a lot about training) for my first triathlon in September.  I'm very frustrated right now because I'm dealing with Achilles tendinitis that I actually believe has been caused by my beloved flippy flops.  The problem started over Spring Break in Florida, where I went directly from wearing winter shoes to nothing but Havaianas.  Before I can start running, I have to get this thing healed.

Anyhoo, last night there was a training party in NYC that my girlfriend and I were going to.  As I was racing around the house, barbecuing chicken, trying to get to the dentist to grind down my new filling, get boy #1 to do his homework and simultaneously get ready for soccer practice all in time for a 5:47 train he asks me "so WHAT are you going to?"

ME: "Sarah and I are doing a triathlon in September and this is a training meeting to help us learn how to do it right."

HIM: "Is it a running thing?"

ME: "Yes, running, biking and swimming."

HIM: "Oh, so you're doing the mom Olympics!"

Love that.  I also love Sally Edwards the spokeswoman for the Trek Women Triathlon Series.  "Inspiring" is not an adjective worthy of this woman.  She's 62 years old and has been doing tris for 30 years.  She completes every event as the "last" finisher - so no entrants ever finish last.  Her passion for living a fit life is infectious and yes, OK, inspiring. 

After meeting her and hearing her stories last night I am totally committed to doing this training thing right, getting past my mental "I can't do this" blocks and pushing my fitness to the next level.


NEVER SURRENDER!

1 comment:

  1. I met Sally recently as well. Fun! Here's the report I wrote after the Trek Training party.
    A Training Party With Sally Edwards

    ReplyDelete