Friday, January 9, 2009

...and gettin' caught in the rain

A facebook exchange reminded me of one of my favorite sources of a good laugh - mistaken song lyrics.  Here are a few from my life, PLEASE share some from yours!

The year: 1977
The perp: Me
The mistaken lyric:  From Gloria Gaynor's hit "I will survive".

Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with his thighs

Commentary:  The correct lyric was "goodbyes" so syllabically not a terrible match, but question to self - how does one hurt another using just their thighs?  Squeezing?  Certainly there would be a more effective method.

The year: 1979
The perp: My college roommate
The mistaken lyric: From Rupert Holmes "Escape" (The pina colada song)

If you like bean enchiladas, and gettin' caught in the rain

Commentary:  Of course the title of the song might not have been enough of a hint.  Personally, I'd rather not be caught in a small space with someone who just ate a bean enchilada.

The year: 2008
The perp: My four year old son
The mistaken lyric: From the B52's "The Deadbeat Club"

Where the dead feet come

Commentary:  Where the dead feet come makes about as much sense as We're the deadbeat club.  Plus he's as cute as a bees knees.

If you're not laughing.  Sing the lyrics out loud.  If you're still not laughing (at least at one of them), you must not have a pulse.




4 comments:

  1. Paul Young "Every Time You Go Away"

    self: Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'll play...besides the aforementioned "you take a piece of meat with you" (I was right there with you sister!) mine is the song Suffragette City by David Bowie..".it's just a chocolate chip city" ! Oh and J, there was a criminal in a james bond movie that used her thighs to fight others..so....it could work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked my husband for a contribution to the list when he got home. He totally, completely wins the prize for ridiculousness. I will say this, he pretty much knew these weren't the right words, but the fact that he just went with them is beautiful. There's no possible way for my set-up to do this justice so here you have it:

    Song: "You're the one that I want" from Grease
    His lyric (and therefore title?): "You're the wizard of O"

    I'm laughing out loud and he just asked me from the other room "what's so funny." You dear heart, you.

    ReplyDelete