Sunday, August 9, 2009

Oregon love

Day 6 of Oregon Summer Vacation:  

Just got back from a weekend at my parents' property on Mt. Hood.  So nice.  They have an annual blueberry picking party & barbecue up there.  My kids had so much fun they are now in a coma upstairs.  Some of my friends from high school and college made it up this year which made it twice as nice.

I also had a great bike ride today with my dad and uncle.  Hint:  If you ever want to feel like an iron woman, go on a ride with a 66 year old who just had double hip replacement and a guy who brought the wrong shoes and couldn't clip in.  I could actually keep up!!!  Seriously, it was so beautiful on the mountain riding winding country roads (with no pot holes or a-holes, "hint hint" Jersey) and actually being able to ride and talk side by side was luxurious.

It's so strange when your kids get to age like that of my older son where you can spend a weekend with them and feel like you never saw them.  He LOVES his cousins so much he gets lost in them.  One of his cousins is a little older than him however, so I'm always wondering what the subject matter may drift to when they're alone.  When we got home tonight he took me aside and said "mom, there's something I want to talk to you about, but I know what you're going to say."  I'm thinking, uh oh, what did he hear/say/do?  He says, "you know how I've become really attracted to...."   wait for it....    fill in the blanks like I did.....

"frozen treats?"

That next sound heard around the world was my exhale.

"Uh huh?"  I say with a relived smile and suppressing a huge giggle .  "Well, I know that I've had WAY too much sugar today, but I can't stop thinking about that Mango stuff grandma has in the freezer."

Lets just say he got lots of kisses on his sweet, 9 year old, sunburned face tonight.

And then the five year old came down the stairs with his pants around his ankles and yelled "hey my shadow looks like it has boobs!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god they are both sooo funny! I am so glad to hear you're having a great vacation. When is your race again? Mine's Sept 19th. I'm upping my workout intensity and adding yoga once a week to help with flexibility. It's fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-

    Wish I could have made it on Saturday, it was just a little crazy with the in-laws in town. How much longer are you here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing out loud here. We had similar vacations (except that I had to keep up with my husband who had just trophied in his age group at a triathlon the previous weekend--it was clearly a mercy ride on his part:-) Our funny is that one of our daughters preferred to play in the sandbox in her sundress... without panties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can take the girl out of Oregon ....
    sounds like great riding

    ReplyDelete